Winter can be a struggling time for those suffering from sensitive teeth. Many people are left wondering, why it happens, what is the cause behind it, and if there is anything they can do to stop the pain. This guide breaks it all down.
Why Do You Get Sensitive Teeth?
Your teeth are covered by a thin layer of protection, known as enamel. Over time, enamel can wear away, leaving the “core” of your teeth, known as dentin, exposed. The dentin is covered in nerve fibers, meaning it is sensitive to any exposure.
It is why cold weather can be such a struggle. The cold and hot temperatures impact the nerve fibers, making it painful and sensitive. This is the same tooth pain you feel because of cavities and gum disease.
However, there are numerous reasons why people wear down their enamel and suffer from sensitive teeth. The most common causes include:
- Brushing too aggressively: You might think that brushing hard is the smart way to pushing off plaque, but brushing with excessive force can start to wear down your enamel.
- Clenching & grinding your teeth: Those people that grind or clench their teeth in their sleep can wear away their enamel, leading them to have sensitivity.
- Tooth decay: Sensitive teeth are signs that cavities and decay have started to impact your teeth. Make sure you see your dentist in Downtown Calgary for a check-up.
- Acidic beverages: The likes of sodas, juices, coffee, tea, and other drinks with a high concentration of acid can erode your teeth and expose the dentin layer.
- Bad lifestyle habits: Not brushing regularly, smoking, or drinking too much alcohol can cause your gums to recede, exposing the dentin at the base of your gums. You’ll have to change your habits if you want to improve your dental health.
How Your Dentist In Downtown Calgary Can Help
If you are suffering from tooth sensitivity this winter, you don’t have to suffer in silence. Your dentist can help in many ways, including:
- Providing you with toothpaste that is for sensitive teeth. It can help you in the long-term.
- Teaching proper brushing and flossing techniques, as well as making sure you have soft bristles on your toothbrush.
- Covering root surfaces by applying a sealant to fix problems with receding gums.
- Making a nightguard if you clench or grind your teeth at night. It will help protect your teeth while you sleep.
- Applying a fluoride application. Fluoride is a natural mineral that strengthens the enamel and thus prevents sensitivity because of exposed dentin.
Make sure that if you are suffering from sensitive teeth that you visit your dentist in Downtown Calgary for help. They can put you on the path to being pain-free.
Dr. Tracey Mulhall is a dentist in downtown Calgary that can offer dental fillings, crowns, implants and teeth cleaning. We are well established and always available to help with your dental concerns. Our downtown dental clinic has convenient hours and knowledgeable staff. We want to make your experience at the dentist fast, fun, and friendly. Call us today to book an appointment!
Phone: (403) 262-4914 | Email: [email protected].